GBMC North Chapman Building Demolition
Location: Towson, Maryland
Client: Greater Baltimore Medical Center
JMT oversaw the careful demolition of a healthcare building and the recycling of a majority of the facility's structure.
The North Chapman building predated the establishment of the Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC) by decades. Built in 1929 as Sheppard Pratt's reception building, the steel-encased, concrete-framed structure had outlived its usefulness, and GBMC desired to make more effective use of the space. An important project goal was to reuse or recycle as much of the building materials as possible.
JMT provided an on-site project manager throughout the one-year demolition. He oversaw the disassembly of the North Chapman building, which included recycling more than 95 percent of the demolished materials. All of the hard, crushable materials were crushed on site and used to backfill the former foundation. Excess crushed materials were used for fill at other local sites. Besides the crushed materials, more than 375 truckloads underwent universal waste removal, waste stream separation, and recycling. Extensive quantities of steel, aluminum, and copper were recovered. In addition, 6,500 tons of crushed material was sent to Waverly Elementary/Middle School in Baltimore – the site of another JMT project – and used as structural fill.
With JMT's help, the site is now available for its next use in support of GBMC's healthcare campus.
« Go Back