Restored Conococheague Aqueduct Opens to Public During Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
JMT facilities construction management staff joined Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, U.S. Senators Ben Cardin and Chris Van Hollen, Jr., U.S. Representative David Trone, and other local dignitaries to celebrate the restored Conococheague Aqueduct on Aug. 8, 2019 at a ribbon cutting ceremony in Williamsport, MD.
JMT provided an on-site construction management representative for the National Park Service (NPS) to perform daily monitoring, inspection, and documenting of the project.
The restoration of the historic Conococheague Aqueduct began in June 2017. The NPS set to restore the aqueduct to how it looked in the 1920s, to be consistent with the surrounding area, which includes the Cushwa Basin, a visitor center, and trolley barn.
The aqueduct opened for navigation in 1835 and was originally used to carry canal boats over the Conococheague Creek across the 196-foot aqueduct on three 60-foot masonry arches. The upstream face of the aqueduct, foundation, piers, and arches have unraveled over time, and the spandrel and parapet walls are no longer a part of the structure. The foundation and arches were repaired, the missing spandrel walls rebuilt, and the parapet wall replaced. Safety features include removable rails on the towpath side of the aqueduct to better protect visitors.Back to All News